Sunday, December 14, 2014

The gas stove

I hooked up this nice little gas stove/fireplace thing in the basement yesterday. I've wanted something that would provide heat in the event of a power outage, and this will do the trick. It's heats up the basement in no time - even without the optional blower. Plus it looks kinda nice.

All I had to do was run a natural gas line straight along the wall about 22' into the laundry room, make a turn, and hook it into the existing line where the previous owners had a gas dryer. I had asked a friend to help out, because I wasn't all that comfortable working with gas, but I finally just watched some youtube videos and figured it out myself. It wasn't too bad. Fortunately I didn't need to cut any pipe. I bought 2 10' sections, 1 18", 24", and 36", 2 couplers, an elbow and a T. I also opted for the pipe joint compound instead of the yellow tape.

I did check for gas leaks (with dishsoap) but I woke up with a smile knowing that I didn't kill myself during the night. Awesome, if I do say so myself. :)



1 comment:

MR said...

Good job! Yeah, that's a perfect place for it. YouTube videos are awesome! For as much knowledge is out on the internet, a lot of the people who have it between their ears still don't have the communication skills to articulate it. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video tutorial is priceless!