Tuesday, November 20, 2012

New tablet (home) and a new laptop (work)

We had quite the buying spree at Best Buy this past Sunday. We bought a new tablet for home, and a new laptop for me at work. We had been there several times to look at different ones. Well, I had been there several times, and Jane came with me once. Sunday we looked at them, and chatted with some people working there. Then we went to Starbucks and got a green tea latte so we could think for awhile (before I totally freaked out). After that we went back and bought them both.

For home we had been thinking of getting a new computer, and I wanted to get a Kindle Fire HD for me to read with. Instead we got an Asus 10" tablet that comes with a keyboard. We were going to get the 16G, but the guy gave us this 32G for the same price (the TF300T). So we're thinking this may substitute for both the Kindle and the laptop. But I'm not completely sold yet. It seems nice, and a keyboard is definitely nice, but I'm just not sure it's going to work as an e-reader. It's a little too big and bulky. But I haven't spent much time with it yet. Best Buy has this program now where you can return anything you buy for a full refund until December 24. So we'll see how this works out. I may get some kind of Kindle yet. We'll see. [SEE BELOW FOR EDIT]

As for the laptop... I had been talking about getting a new one for the office for awhile. I think we budgeted for one both last year and this year. So when my present Gateway started falling apart, I decided maybe I better get one. The Gateway is hard to open and close because the hinge on one side is twisted. It works ok other than that, but I have had it for quite awhile, and I think it's only a matter of time before it will be done. So I got this Lenovo Ideapad. I have actually only had it out of the box long enough to charge it and get online once. It's been a busy week, but I'm hoping tomorrow I will get a chance to dive in. I am used to Windows XP, so moving up to Windows 8 will be an experience for me. I like having a new computer, but I'm not so keen on jumping two operating systems. So I'm glad the old computer still works, and I'll be able to transfer data over time.


All in all I'm still a bit freaked out over both purchases. That's just a lot of money to plop down on a Sunday afternoon. Hopefully it will be worth it. I feel a bit better knowing we can always get our money back though.

ADDED LATER: On Monday, November 26, I took the Asus back and got the Kindle HD. I liked the Asus alright, but it was a big bulkier than I wanted, and our home computer ended up crapping out. So we saved $300 and got the Kindle. Plus I like the smaller feel of the Kindle. It's a personal preference. Now we need to start looking for a new home computer...

3 comments:

Jim L said...

You'll have more access to apps on the Asus (the Google Play store has many, many more apps than Amazon's store), but yes, the size will be the thing you have to get used to. The keyboard is a nice add, though.

Per Windows 8, you may find this video helpful - it's fast, but just watch it more than once and let it absorb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wi8NpwiEuzc

dan said...

Thanks, Jim. I might be able to figure out windows 8 after watching the video another TEN times. :) Appreciate the help! Thanks again.

Jim L said...

Yeah, the guy who made it is a programmer and is basically doing a techie-to-techie "brain dump" so he moves fast. But I like the fact that in four minutes he does get all the basics across fairly well.