Thursday, August 27, 2015

Where I'm at: work


As I continue this series of posts on "where I'm at" (running, church, and coaching), today I come to: work. I am employed by a self-storage company in Fort Wayne as a facility manager. I work around 40 hours a week. Most of the time it is Monday through Friday, with an occasional Saturday thrown in. It isn't difficult work, and I kind of like that it's a good mix of office stuff, public interaction, and some light manual labor. It is one of the premier facilities in Fort Wayne - with around 750 storage units - so sometimes it is fairly busy, but it's not overly challenging. It usually offers me plenty of time to write blog posts, read, and think.

On the one hand it is nice to be able to work on other things while I'm "at work." However, there are times when it's just not very fulfilling. There really isn't any future in it for me, which is fine, but one of the more frustrating aspects is that I think I could contribute more, but it's not welcomed or encouraged. So... I'm just trying to take it for what it is. They gave me a job when no one else would. For that I am thankful.

Sometimes I dream about starting up a business, or Jane and I starting something together. I have no idea what it would be though. There are also times I wonder if I should get something a little higher-paying and try to make as much money as I can over the next 10-12 years and plan for retirement. I do look for other jobs now and then, but it's always hard to know what to do or how to go about it.

In the meantime, I just show up at work every day. I like being able to work alone for the most part. I'm sort of the "old guy," and I get the feeling I drive other people a little nuts sometimes. When I started here it seemed all the managers and other employees joked around a lot more, and I feel like I've kind of put a damper on that, you know, because I'm always so serious and intense about everything. Plus the guy who I guess is supposed to be the boss is like a complete opposite of me, so... I don't know how long it will last, but until something else comes along... this is what I do. It's not terrible.