Monday, June 29, 2015

Working for a living

This morning I had a couple Bible passages come to mind as I started my day.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters... It is the Lord Christ you are serving." (Col. 3:23-24)

"Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free." (Eph. 6:7-8)

It's true that I'm still not feeling all that great physically (some serious swollen glands and sore throat stuff), but I don't think that had all that much to do with why I didn't want to go to work. I really don't dislike what I actually do. Though there is a big difference between NOT disliking your work, and actually LIKING it. But I guess maybe it's more just a mental thing for me.

I've been told in the past that I can be moody. I am aware of that. As I have often said myself, "I'm not complicated, just difficult." But when it gets right down to it, I don't really think I am all that hard to get along with - or even to motivate. 

The thing is, I am a "words" person. What that means is... all I really need someone to do is to talk to me, and listen to me. That's about it. People who ignore me, or fail to respond to correspondence, or refuse to listen to what I'm saying... Yes, I can have a hard time getting along with. [ADDED LATER: Oh, and I forgot about being patronized. Patronize me and I become REALLY DIFFICULT.]

So, I guess what I was thinking this morning is... it's not really WHAT I do for work that is the issue, but WHO I work for or with that can create turmoil within me. That's why I have spent some time going over these two verses from Colossians and Ephesians today. It shouldn't bother me. It shouldn't; but it does. And on days like today I pray verses like this in hopes that God might grant me the strength to not say or do anything stupid.

Ironically, while I was just now typing this up, the BTO song, "Takin' Care of Business" came on the radio. Hahaha... 

You get up every morning
From your 'larm clock's warning
Take the 8:15 into the city
There's a whistle up above
And people pushin', people shovin'
And the girls who try to look pretty
And if your train's on time
You can get to work by nine
And start your slaving job to get your pay
If you ever get annoyed
Look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day
And I'll be

Taking care of business (every day)
Taking care of business (every way)
I've been taking care of business (it's all mine)
Taking care of business and working overtime

Such is life... :)