Saturday, June 27, 2015

It's times like this I'm glad I'm not

There are many things I miss about no longer being in a church leadership position, but after the ruling yesterday legalizing same-sex marriage... I am glad I am not. I don't need to have a public opinion on the subject. Therefore I don't need to offend or alienate anyone in the process of trying to explain, support, or oppose. Oh, sure, you could say that I should take a stand simply because I'm a follower of Jesus, or a person with blood running through my veins... But I disagree. I can rejoice with those who rejoice, and mourn with those in mourning. Maybe I always could, but I am relieved that there is no expectation for anything placed on my head.

And, really, that's about all I have to say on the subject. Other than I think it's interesting watching so many people be so passionate about it - who otherwise really have nothing to gain or lose by it. It's also interesting reading Facebook posts from some of my "young-ish" friends with differing levels of theological training try to explain how they used to feel different, but now - in all their new-found wisdom - they have come to know the truth. :) Hmm... So I wonder if in 20 years they will learn a new truth?

Anyway, I don't know, and I don't have to. It's a rainy day; I'm supposed to be running a 5k in less than an hour; and I can do whatever I darn well please.

Peace out; and in.