Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lenten prayer guide

Our church encouraged people to join together in using the same prayer guide during the season of Lent this year. They provided one hard copy of the Seek God for the City 2015 prayer guide, and encouraged people to purchase the app ($.99). So, I started yesterday (Ash Wednesday) using the hard copy. I will continue to use it unless Jane wants to switch. There is a one-page daily devotion for every day from February 18 to March 29th.

I don't know how great of a devotional it is, but it's not too time-consuming or difficult, so I will give it a try. I'd heard of this elsewhere, but had never checked it out. It is put out by a group called the waymakers. I liked the little blurb on their site about Hope:
When people follow Christ, whether they know it or not, they step into a huge, unfolding story that is much greater than themselves. The story is ancient, encompassing every time and generation. The story is global, fulfilling the purpose of every people and culture.
If you’ve ever wondered why it’s so boring to live for your own concerns, it’s because God created you to hope–to yearn from the core of your soul to be part of something, and to be honored by someone, that is truly glorious.
Hope is walking with God with open eyes in the rush and tumble of a great story that is pressing toward a crescendo all over the planet. God is determined to show love and be loved in every people and place. When our vision is focused on the glory of His love being fulfilled, there is deep, increasing joy as we find God-given ways to co-work with Him.

I like that. It is difficult for me to find reasons why people should become followers of Jesus. That's a good reason.

So, that's what I'm doing for Lent. I have rarely ever done the 'give something up' thing. I do like using it as a time to sort of refocus, or refresh, though.