Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Coming back to life

I am a fan of David Gilmour's work, and his song "Coming Back To Life" has really resonated with me lately. Such a powerful song, with masterfully nuanced guitar work. But I think it's the haunting lyrics that really do it for me.
Where were you... when I was burned and broken
While the days slipped by... from my window watching
And where were you... when I was hurt and helpless
Because the things you say... and the things you do... surround me

I have no idea what David was thinking when he wrote the song, but when I hear it... it makes me think about that feeling most of us have when we're struggling and we think we're all alone. It doesn't really matter if it's true or not when you're feeling that way. It's a really nice feeling, though, when we can begin to see things for how they really are - that we are not near as alone as we think we are - and we can start "staring straight into the Shining Sun" again.

I have always said, this is the benefit of professional counseling: it allows someone to see into our life for us when perhaps we aren't so able to. However, I suppose we're all like that to some degree. Such is the place of good friends, partners, small groups, etc.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking about on this foggy, frozen morning.

Peace out; and in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sds79hLvquA

1 comment:

MR said...

David Gilmour?! ....never heard of 'im.