Tuesday, January 27, 2015

American sniper

I saw the hot new movie American Sniper in the IMAX theater at the old Rave last week. Wow. It was pretty cool watching it IMAX style, but it's a pretty intense movie. I went with Drew, Kyle & Colin, and Thomas gave us a tour of the theater afterward. That was pretty cool too.

I can certainly see why this is a controversial movie, and how people can feel very passionate about it from opposing viewpoints. It raises a lot of tough questions. Honestly, though, I didn't come away from the film feeling one side was pushing an agenda on the other. Perhaps I wasn't looking for it, but it seemed pretty fair in simply showing how horrible war is - for everybody involved.

Personally, I am a pacifist. I don't believe it should be up to me to decide who lives and who dies (or at least I don't want it to be up to me). I also prefer non-violence over violence. However, that doesn't mean I can't understand violent acts and war and whatnot. I could probably actually get into it if I decided to do so. But I CHOOSE to be a pacifist. It is not a feeling for me, it is a decision; a choice that I strive to live by.

That said, I know there are holes that can be found in this perspective; just like holes can be found in others. We live in a human, fallen world. I can't make everything work out, so I do the best I can, and try not to judge others with whom I disagree. I trust they're doing the best they can too. I don't see where name-calling really helps (not that I haven't done so myself - again, doing the best I can).

So, those are just some thoughts I had after watching the movie. I don't recommend it or not recommend it. It does make me ever more fearful that Sarah Palin might actually make a serious run in politics. But... what do I know? That's all.

1 comment:

MR said...

I'm a big fan of war! haha! It freed the slaves, saved the jews from genocide and has overturned tyranny throughout the world. What is it good for? That. Now... that being said, I SUPPOSE I would have settled for the South giving up slavery and rejoining the Union, and Hitler coming to his senses. Although, some excellent made for TV mini-serieseseses would have been lost.