Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I doubt it

I remember when I was a pastor it would often make church people uneasy when I expressed my doubts about issues of faith. Like, you know, what if I'm wrong?? It even started to make ME feel a bit uneasy at times over the last year and a half. Not that I ever gave up on God, but sometimes I did wonder just how much doubt a person could have and still be considered a Christian. I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm not too worried about it right now.

Ironically, it has always amazed me just how assured some of my atheist friends are that there is no God. I mean, I tend to think I am fairly committed in my devotion to God and the life and teachings of Jesus (even in seasons of doubt), but it seems the atheists I've known have no room at all for doubt or questions in their beliefs. That seems odd to me. I probably don't understand.

Anyway, I ran across this article on '7 Prominent Christian Thinkers Who Wrestled With Doubt.' It's not too long, and lists some serious "doubters"... C.S. Lewis, Mother Teresa, Luther, Calvin, etc. I felt it a comforting article.

I certainly don't want to make someone doubt their faith, but I do want to encourage those who may have some doubts now and then... I think God is plenty capable of handling it. Doubt is not the same as unbelief. In fact, sometimes I think it's healthy to say, "You know, I would be open to the Spirit teaching me something new." You'd be in good company.

So... that's all.

3 comments:

Pastor D said...

One of the best films I have seen in a long time is the movie "Doubt"

MR said...

...also Mrs. Doubtfire.

patti said...

nice to find you blogging. I was just thinking about the be-lieve myself, tying nicely with the doubt theme. Merry Christmas to you!