Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Dying or resting

Yesterday morning I was in especially good cheer. I'm not entirely sure why, but as I drove to work through the colorful scenery we in the Midwest know of as 'Fall'... it brought even better thoughts to mind.

I love the Fall season. The trees changing colors, losing their leaves, the crisp air, the notion that something is about to happen... change is taking place... It gives me a feeling of calm and hope at the same time. Better writers than me might liken it to the smells on Thanksgiving morning, or waking up at grandma's house.

So as I wound my way through the city, I began to think about Fall. I know many people who prefer Spring. Some say Fall is when things are dying, and they don't like it. They prefer to see things come to life. Personally, I don't see Fall as a time of dying, but more a time of resting. Things are coming to rest; the trees, the leaves, the plants, many outdoor activities... Life begins to sloooooow down.

It reminds me of Jesus' words in Matthew 11:28-29:
 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

That's good stuff. How can anyone NOT want that?

It also reminds me of the teaching from John 15:1-8 about abiding in the Vine (God). I like the 3dm teaching using a semicircle to represent the need to balance work and rest. Yes, fruit comes from work, but it can only come as we abide/rest in Him. It's part of the rhythm of life. I see that as what Fall is all about. It's a time to rest in the love and mercy and grace of God; to allow Jesus to gently teach us; restore us; give us hope.

http://www.heartquest101.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/LifeShape2-SemiCircle.jpg

I like thinking about that. Lately I have felt more comfortable and at peace with myself than I have in a long time. I look forward to a Spring, but I love the idea of resting in God's love and grace; of becoming who He wants me to be. Nurture.

Life is long. Falling down is not the end. It's not dying... it can be a time of rest for our souls.

1 comment:

bill Sloat said...

I have been more joyful, at peace and have had more energy since I stopped being a pastor. Perhaps you are experiencing the same reality.